This is my first Marathon for year 2012. The last Full Marathon is 4 months ago, so I am exited for this event. The feeling of running is totally difference in both training and racing. Not that I am able to win or that competitive, but nothing will beat the feeling of running together with lots of people aiming the same objective.
The event was a nightmare in year 2011, but with the new organizer, Energizer managed to turn around that perception last Saturday. All the good arrangement showing that the organizer & Energizer really think through and plan for this event. You may have fewer runners this year, but you took extra miles to make sure all the 5k runners happy with the great event!
For some reason (mainly due to work), I am either in the “over” or “under” trained stage compare to the previous Singapore Marathon. I had 2 high mileages months in Feb and March, but really struggled in April. I was into the running mood dip since early April. I did only minimum training to ensure the body is ready for the FM, but this turn out to be a good move. The body is rested before the run and enabling me to push harder in the FM. The mind is cleared once we flagged off from the starting line. The pace is rather consistence for the first 20k, stayed around 6:50~7:30min/km. It is hard to resist an up pace when you running thru a pack of cheerleaders. The soles start complained about the workload and the pace drop to 8min/km. That was around 1/2 of the 3rd loop. The mind is strong and managed to push for another loop, and I had to slow down to brisk walking pace around 9~10min/km.
At 34km (1/2 of the 5th loop), the body and stamina are still ok to continue, but the sole are very pain and 2 blisters formed underneath the toes joint. I start to walk up all the climbs. There will be no way I could do better the SCMS 5:42, so I just enjoy myself and practicing how to regenerate and slowly restart of running from walking. Finally, the laps tracking screen shown that I had completed 5 laps. I am so happy and heading back towards the circuit. The happiness not lasted long, the service route is tougher with 2~3 climbs packed into that final 5km. The clock is ticking and I entered the final stretch in front of the grand stand with 5 minutes before 6 hours. Pushed the last bit out from my body and ignored the pain in the sole, finally I passed the finish line with only 30 seconds before 6 hours.
Overall, this is the best marathon so far I had joined. Sure I will return in their 2013 editon.
1. Dedicated parking for Full Marathon, and this year we have no jam before entering the parking area.
2. Plenty of water station (every 2km each) and distances marking.
3. Cheerleading that really kept me going.
4. Laps tracking screen, the tracking is clear and the officers are really helpful to remind the runners on their progress.
5. Challenging route and looping. The looping really help me to adjust my running plan, I can visualize at which point in next loop to take my gel.
6. Shifting the event area to the Mall, with plenty of volunteers to directing participants along the way.
1. Some part of the route is without any illumination, especially the stretch from the beginning of the loop towards the first traffic light. The car headlight shined from the opposite lane really obstructing our vision.
Met KY and Nick. We had some discussion on Nick’s new favorite Skechers GoRUN. The good remark is tempted me to get one, will try it out on my next shopping day.
Met Paul before the start of the run. Paul really bared this round and running only with his tight & hydration. His body marked with “428 Bersih 3.0” and “Stop Lynas”, so I guess tentatively we will meet again in this Saturday in Dataran Merdeka for Bersih 3.0.
Met Khoo while looping on the route, he is volunteering again in this race. Thank you very much for the support, especially the cup of water at the final water station.